Sunday, November 04, 2012

Sanctuary  



As far as uptempo gospel boogie goes, I think this is pretty much the alpha and omega of all things. Sanctuary's 'I Am Going To Love Him' is of course written about Jesus, and whomever wrote it obviously felt strongly about the subject matter as the track bangs and is without doubt the best record the ever spotty Montage label put out. In fact I can't think of another good one, maybe that French language cover of Billy Jean as a ten million mile away second place. Tom Browne is the only notable on this cut, his solo lp cut sampled by Coolio or someone from that era, which must have been nice, lucky fellow. He never made much of his solo career but was one of the stand out session guitarists on the circuit, and I think his rhythm part on this is one of his best.

Sanctuary - I'am Going To Love Him (Vocal)
Sanctuary - I'am Going To Love Him (Instrumental)

I'm also putting up a 320kps version of a mix I did for Ulysses32's radio show, Uptown Express, back in March..

The BlackShag - Uptown Express Guest Mix

Posted by Black Shag | 15 comments

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



15 comments: to “ Sanctuary


  • November 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM  

    Nice one! Haven't heard of this uptempo gospel boogie before. But surely feeling it. And! Now you made me curious: What's the name of that french language cover of Billy Jean a million miles away? "Billy Jean", "French Language", "Cover", & "Gospel Boogie" sound like a winning combination to me...

    Thanks ;-) DubMe


  • November 5, 2012 at 8:24 AM  

    Ultimate Choice "It's Hot" b/w "Get It Up" is another great one on Montage. Got a proper reissue by PPU. I also like at least one track on the Shotgun & Mandrill LPs on that label. I agree overall it's spotty.


  • November 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM  

    ah, schooled, thank you. there is a self titled LP called Black Ice on Montage that has a jam on it too. Someone has access to the tapes and licensing as there are re-issues here and there over time. I think the cheeseball French MJ covers were by Ashaye.


  • November 6, 2012 at 12:31 AM  

    Thanks for those recommendations! I will be looking for those songs...!


  • November 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM  

    Thanks all, good to learn something. Just quickly had a look for that Ashaye MJ cover and found a useful link here if anyone wants: http://www.2shared.com/complete/vBVDfMjH/07__Ashaye_-_Dont_Stop_Till_Yo.html

    ps. thanks for the mix BlackShag, always good to have something quality (dI don't mean the bitrate, 192k wou;ld've been fine) to play in the car


  • November 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM  

    Full LPs? I'm stumped too.
    First thing I thought of was Shotgun.
    "Ladies Choice" is my jam.
    //rew


  • November 8, 2012 at 8:35 AM  

    is there a track list up for this one? it's amazing.


  • November 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM  

    I thought the one for Ocho was for this, I was like I don't hear peach tree freak anywhere...That one's my jam tho.


  • November 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM  

    great mix ! please give us the tracklist !
    thanks !


  • November 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM  

    wow, amazing.. tracklist anyone????


  • November 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM  

    Hey Blackshag !

    Trulu awesome. Can we really get a tracklist for this one? There are some boogie jams killing me here. hehe

    Can you even tell me what the song is - Its a high temp disco number towards the end, and the singer is saying, "Do the boogie woogie, listen to the music all night, boogie woogie" Thanks Man. This mix is blistering


  • November 23, 2012 at 5:39 AM  

    totally a great mix. yeahhhh. track list would be vry nize


  • December 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM  

    thanks blackshag! that was awesome. I join the request for a tracklist... but also a question: what is your turntable pictured to the right?


  • January 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM  

    I really like your mix, so please give us the track list
    Thanks


  • February 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM  

    Late to the party but this is a stupid good mix!