Sunday, April 15, 2012

100%  


I always thought we must have posted this years ago, but doing a search it looks like we never have, so in an effort to right this minor injustice I'm going to put up both sides of Caprice's overlooked dollar bin classic, 100%.

There isn't much to say about this one, if you look at the credits its an all star cast, Leroy Burgess, the Aleems, Leroy's cousin Sonny Davenport. The only real question that remains is who is the vocalist? If she got a credit I can't see it on the label, I know the same vocalist sang as Caprice on a couple of other indie Chicago area releases, also produced by Leroy and the Aleems, but her identity is still shrouded in mystery.

Caprice - 100% (Vocal)
Caprice - 100% (Instrumental)

Posted by Black Shag | 2 comments

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments: to “ 100%


  • April 19, 2012 at 7:13 AM  

    That would be Yvette Davis on vocals. From Leroy himself:

    "Back in 1970, one of Black Ivory's first guitar players was a young man named Jackie Bradley. He and I remained friends even after my departure from the Ivory. In late 1983, Jackie approached Sonny and I to compose and produce a song for a new group he was founding called Caprice. We took on the project. The group was comprised of Jackie (guitar/vocals), Yvette Davis (lead vocals/keyboards), Glenn Norman ( background vocals/keyboards), Mattin and Brian Tuzo (bass and drums). The result was "100%", which is one of my favorite compositions. Although the group stay together for only one further song, they remain close to my heart."


  • April 26, 2012 at 7:17 PM  

    I always assumed it was the same Caprice as on "Candy Man", but yeah now that you mention it they sound quite different!

    //REW