Saturday, December 17, 2011

Breakin' In Space  


Could Radar Records do no wrong? Key-Matic's Breakin' In Space was by far the labels biggest 'hit', and the record holds a place in the pantheon of early electro master pieces. It has all the right ingredients, tastefully done vocoder (I'm by no means a vocoder collector/fan/nerd), non lame old school raps about space, dubbed out synths and cosmic overtones.

There are even a few young, future celebrities on this cut. The saxophone was done by Najee, who went on to rival Kenny G for a while as smooth jazz radio sax top dog, and we also have some scratches from Wizard K-Jee, a.k.a Keith Shocklee, future Bomb Squad member and the discoverer of Chuck D.

Here are all the cuts from the record.

Key-Matic – Breakin' In Space (Vocal)

Key-Matic – Breakin' In Space (Instrumental)
Key-Matic – Breakin' In Space (Lunar Beats i)
Key-Matic – Breakin' In Space (Lunar Beats ii)

Posted by Black Shag | 5 comments

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



5 comments: to “ Breakin' In Space


  • December 18, 2011 at 5:45 AM  

    love this track one my favourite electro tracks.


  • December 19, 2011 at 11:39 PM  

    Breaker In Spavce is making me high again


  • December 21, 2011 at 12:11 PM  

    Even if I hadn't appreciated the music you generously share (though I really do), I would follow the blog just for the luxurious illustrations.

    Thanks.


  • January 24, 2012 at 2:29 PM  

    Jam On It! fine track superb blog every track here fantastic -took me back to the circle to the funky early eighties. Breakin in Space -just warms me to hear it... ThankU


  • February 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM  

    I'm sure i've read somewhere that it was Keith Shocklee's uncles who made this track they were older Jazz cats working as studion musicians interpreting the new electro sounds, according to Keith. (I think i read this in a wax poetics article?)

    They made a great job a definite classic jam from the 80's i remember it most from Crucial Electro 1 still for me the best Electro LP from 1984.