Thursday, November 26, 2009

Kashif Ya Turkeys  


It's Thanksgiving in the United States today and we have oh so much to be thankful for here. I for one am very thankful for Kashif, super producer and ace songwriter whose peak work was in the golden boogie era of US soul music. God bless Kashif.

Evelyn King - I'm In Love 1981
Evelyn King - Love Come Down (Instrumental) 1982
Kashif - I Just Got To Have You (Long Version) 1983
Kashif - Ooh Love (Instrumental) 1984

Posted by Magnum | 12 comments

Labels: ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



12 comments: to “ Kashif Ya Turkeys


  • November 26, 2009 at 8:05 PM  

    The synth line in the middle of 'I'm in Love' is very similar to Wanda's 'I Must be Dreamin' and Vicky D's 'This Beat is Mine'. All came out within a year of one another.

    Is it a joke? A nod? A zeitgeist? A coded message?


  • November 26, 2009 at 10:22 PM  

    Ahh, glad you called that!

    I would term it a zeitgeist.

    I have been known to spin those three tracks in succession on a few occasions.


  • November 26, 2009 at 11:14 PM  

    Kashif held it down with that signature bass sound. 'Come Turn Me on...' thats my joint. Check out 'Rumors' as well.


  • November 27, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

    I think Mighty 7 may have take the chorus for "Call Me" from "I Just Got To Have You." Seeing as the Mighty 7 track came out a year after.


  • November 28, 2009 at 4:54 PM  

    Love all of these tracks! Haven't heard "I just Got Yo Have You' in 20 years! Dope.


  • November 30, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

    Pretty sure Masters at Work and Vincent Montana Jr. referenced the chorus from "I'm In Love" in "To Be In Love."


  • December 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM  

    wow guys,
    you really dug deep for these evelyn king cuts! are yall gonna get upset if i use one of these finds in a mix?...should i credit yall for diggin' it up???

    fuckin awesome


  • December 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM  

    Those tracks are easier to find than you might think, just overlooked, but feel free to use whatever you want, just send Kashif an email.

    Thanks for the kind words son.


  • December 6, 2009 at 4:29 AM  

    Anonymous,

    This blog is as much about rare boogie cuts as it is about shit we just love to listen to and want to share. I am sorry that you think we are just here to supply rare cuts for your mixes.


  • December 7, 2009 at 8:03 AM  

    yayyyy Kashif <3

    love come down sounds so great even without Champagne

    melba moore + kashif is my fave.


  • December 7, 2009 at 2:47 PM  

    wow, I just wanted to ammend my previous post to say "awesome" which is what you saints are.

    Sorry for posting anonymously, its just I'm a little afraid of you knowing my identity, even though posting anonmously makes all my points moot and leaves you free to edit my shit at will, which must be a funny distraction for you. The thing is I was a house DJ back in the nineties and people have long sinse stopped paying me any attention. I know you guys are just everyday people who have a little blogspot page, but I decided to fixate on the way you present your free content anyway, as I'm angry at the world for some reason and feel my long preserved musicologist self identity is threatened by ebay 'buy it now' disco experts, upstarts and recent bandwaggon jumpers. Plus I'm just sort of an asshole.

    I apologize.


  • January 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

    this beat is mine and i'm in love came out within months of eachother, i'm in love hit in may of 1981 and this beat is mine in october of 1981.