Sunday, November 22, 2009

Connie, the instrumentals.  


I'm not a big freestyle head, in fact I'm a little ignorant to the timeline and how the sub genre split from the rest of electro and boogie in the early eighties, but then it seems Miami has always had it's own thing going on what with it's geography and cultural mix. That being said, the semi breakthrough hits by Connie seemed to have favor with DJ's far beyond urban Florida at the time, and her two biggest tunes, Rock Me and Funky Little Beat became electro classics.

I like to play the instrumentals and dubs, as despite the vocal being awesome, the Amos Larkin beat production really stands out, so here you go:

Posted by Black Shag | 10 comments

Labels: , , , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



10 comments: to “ Connie, the instrumentals.


  • November 23, 2009 at 3:29 AM  

    Thanks a lot !!!


  • November 23, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

    Always been a fan of both the vocal/dub of 'Experience' on Sunnyview. File under 'Amusement Park R&B'.


  • November 23, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

    Another solid post. You guys always seem to be into something interesting and funky. The drum programming on Funky Little Beat is phenomenal!!


  • November 23, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

    Rock Me is originally by Trinere I think.
    Funky Little Beat is originally performed by Debby Deb I think. Both produced by "Pretty"Tony"?

    Connie does them well but the originals still shine brighter.

    Anyway thanks for the great edits!


  • November 24, 2009 at 1:42 AM  

    Rock Me came out a year before Trinere ever released her first single, and Debbie Deb covered Connie, not the other way around. Neither song was written or produced by Pretty Tony.

    ..but don't feel like I'm putting you in your place, as I had to look all that up on discogs and wikipedia and you were right for all I knew. Although I will say I prefer Connie's harder prodction to Debbie Deb's later version.


  • November 24, 2009 at 6:08 AM  

    OUI!!!!! Beat Electric is the BEST! Ever since I discovered you thanks to the Ken Laszlo song you posted I am hooked! Your illin' mixes and daily posts rock my Paris nights!!! Merci! Je vous aime!!!


  • November 24, 2009 at 4:21 PM  

    Wow I couldn't have been more wrong.
    You did put me in my place.

    I found the Connie compilation several years ago in LA and had no idea it was the originals. It was so crisp compared to those covers.

    Anyway thanks for the schoolin' and awesome edits.


  • November 24, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

    I wish I could say I had edited these, but they are actually the instrumentals from the B side of the records.


  • December 7, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

    mmm Funky little beat is so much love.

    thankss for it!

    -Melissa


  • March 9, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

    Amazing stuff. thanks so much.