Monday, July 27, 2009

Fresh off the 600  

Electronics were really pretty in the Cold War era. Technology was changing so rapidly and a new modern style was emerging. I think a lot of people that had a Nakamichi 600 also had a DeLorean in the garage and a digital Seiko LCD watch on their wrist. If you were an audiophile with an extra $600 in your pocket, this was the deck for you. I happened to pick it up in the sticks for $40. Nakamichi didn't stop at one beautiful piece of gear though. They created the System One, which is the sexiest stereo ever made; it is sexy enough in black, I have never seen one in silver. I have been looking for a lazer soul cassette that would allow me to share with you digital media whores some fine analog gear. That said, this tape was mastered with a lot of distortion and it doesn't make for the best rip!

These lazer soul jamz from Ivy were released on their sophomore 1985 Ivy II cassette on Heat Recording and Filmworks out of Akron, Ohio. There are more than a few smooth jamz on this tape but these choice cuts have a lot of lazer soul flavor.

PARIS READERS: I will be visiting your fine city this coming weekend. Help me figure out where I can go to dance to some good music!

Tape End Ringtone
Ivy - It Must Be Magic
Ivy - Sweet Box
Ivy - Make Me Feel Your Love

Posted by Joel Brüt | 8 comments

Labels: , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



8 comments: to “ Fresh off the 600


  • July 27, 2009 at 12:40 AM  

    Great as always - thanks! I always liked the CDplayers of the 80s where the disc was spinning vertically. you could actually see the turning disc. 80s FOREVER!


  • July 27, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

    hello the french club's selection "FUNK,SOUL,80's"
    FOR FRIDAY: Motown party @ le djoon (http://www.myspace.com/djoonclub)
    carwash @ le wagg (http://www.wagg.fr/)
    FOR SATURDAY: the grand summer party funk @ la scene bastille (http://www.la-scene.com/index.php?p=soirees&date=20090801)
    golden 80's @ le wagg
    soulist sun system @ l'O.P.A (http://www.myspace.com/opa_paris)
    "ELECTRO"
    @ le social club FOR FRIDAY and SATURDAY (http://www.myspace.com/parissocialclub)
    the freaky diggers @ l'O.P.A FOR FRIDAY
    and now make your choice, see you
    -INSTANTALEX-


  • July 27, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

    Thank you InstantAlex

    La Scene Bastille is a 5 min walk from my hotel, so I guess I might see you there on Saturday! I am think Black Shag is coming out too, he is London right now.


  • July 28, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

    Good. I think that la scene bastille is a good choice, of more la scene bastille is a concert hall normally the acoustics is good. At the moment i'm not in paris, i'm in vacancy in the south, would have been a pleasure to meet you. Have fun.
    -INSTANTALEX-


  • August 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

    Humm, I endoured some break beat funk for a while and I experienced a glimmer of hope with George Benson's Give Ne The Night. They managed to keep a boogie groove going with MJ's Rock With you, before slamming in a 80 BPM Motown track, followed by Play That Funk Music Whiteboy. Those DJs need to stop by BE and score some heat!


  • August 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM  

    tell us when u come back to Paris !!


  • August 13, 2009 at 1:28 AM  

    I will definitely come back. I love France and had the greatest time.


  • January 22, 2010 at 1:31 AM  

    I know what you mean about the dj set with Mj, Benson, Wild Cherry etc. Tell you to ge to La Scène Bastille wasn't a great idea, it's not a place for real funk lover...
    The Djoon has good events. I heard Kenny Dope there few month ago / I missed Theo Parrish last month / Trus'Me is playing tonight...

    Love your blog,

    #