Saturday, June 13, 2009

Benny Golson  


I had to go to LA last minute for a couple of days and don't have access to my records, but I have a laptop with me that has some recordings and some edits buried on it, and so I'm going to post one those. Don't be scared off, I'm putting up something that is fairly faithful to the original, Benny Golson's 'I'm Always Dancin to the Music' is a great tune in it's own right, but some of the bridges and passages make it difficult to play for a modern, mixed crowd dancefloor (I think at least, hence the edit).

Benny Golson is a legend of the jazz scene, I think he plays tenor, but I would imagine his best known piece is the theme tune from M.A.S.H. He came back after a ten year hiatus from the music industry with this disco dance single, to much derision from the jazz heads, the snobby indie rockers of their day.

Its 90bpm, and has a willfully difficult to mix intro (that I left in) but it has more punch and energy than any peak hour disco banger I have in my bag.

Posted by Black Shag | 5 comments

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



5 comments: to “ Benny Golson


  • June 16, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

    Nicely done!


  • July 2, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

    soooo much fun.


  • July 4, 2009 at 9:31 PM  

    I see what you mean about the intro. Difficult to mix but a great track lead off with. The horns have been stuck in my head for two days now... is that Dorothy Stratten?


  • July 7, 2009 at 10:19 PM  

    The vocal is by Maxine Willard Waters, who was a session vocalist that got a lot of work on the west coast scene in the late seventies and throughout the eighties too. She sang with Herbie Hancock, Cuba Gooding and a bunch of others.


  • June 13, 2012 at 1:57 AM  

    I was going to do an edit of this tune for the exact same reason, those bridges. Now I don't have to! thanks.