Monday, November 17, 2008

For The Grace Of God Go I  

I am not one for dancing in the streets (I am probably more likely to dance in the sheets) but this track evokes the type of energy that would force even the most sedentary mope out the front door. This track from 1979 by Machine was produced by King Creole And The Coconuts member August Darnell. There is a playful exchange of vocal parts and a gospel feel mixed with Disco stomp and soul swagger that lights up the dance floor. I am sure a lot of the crowd can identify with the lyrics as well.

Machine - There But For The Grace Of God Go I

Posted by Joel Brüt | 5 comments

Labels: ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



5 comments: to “ For The Grace Of God Go I


  • November 20, 2008 at 5:44 PM  

    Great track. I remember Bucketheads ripping a strange bit of this track for Come and Be Gone years ago.


  • November 23, 2008 at 8:50 PM  

    Have y'all heard the version of this song that opens up with a lushy piano solo? It's not much but I think I like it better. The beat seems to hit harder because the piano calls so much attention. I think it was on the B side of one of the promo versions.


  • November 24, 2008 at 10:15 PM  

    I haven't. And while looking on my hard drive to see if I have it, I realized that this posted version ended up in the CBS top 100 in 2006 in the 98th position. It's not a typical CBS track, that's for sure.


  • November 27, 2008 at 12:16 AM  

    The piano intro version (well it got a piano intro atleast, cant promise its the version you refer to) is available on the newly released compilation 'Going Places: The August Darnell Years 1974-1983'


  • January 18, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

    Yes, piano version is really on Kid Creole - Going Places The August Darnell Years 1976-1983. My favourite track is Off The Coast For Me by Kid Creole & The Coconuts. especially bye bye bye part (and im even not mentioning Aural exciters from Ze Records label!)