Thursday, August 28, 2008

My state of mind...  


Tonight I'll be boarding a red-eye flight heading to New York City once again.  I've been going quite often and I like its presence in my life.  It's more than a CompuRhythm-78, a sampler, synth and a delay can encapsulate...but Deekay Jones' use of those tools does conjure up some suitable statement about the city, especially what it might have been like in 1983.  Pulse of New York was an incredibly well rounded comp that showed the few people that got this disc what New York new music was all about.  There's also a track from Xex and some foreshadowing of early Jamie Lidell by a band called Bronx Irish Catholics...maybe I'll post more from this later.  Right now, I've got to start packing for my weekend.  Wish me a good weekend and if you long for where I am just think of this track.


ps- After some research I think the "New York" sample was from the first Last Poets album from a track of the same name.   The 1970 release precedes the crappy Billy Joel song New York State of Mind which came to mind for me.  The entire sample has way more depth and weight than I had allowed it to have before: "New York is a state of mind that doesn't mind fucking with a brother..."  So maybe this track can also be for the anniversary of MLK's "I have a dream speech", noting we have made some progress.

Posted by safetyscissors | 6 comments

Labels: , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



6 comments: to “ My state of mind...


  • August 28, 2008 at 3:17 PM  

    d'oh! i am supposed to be in nyc this week/weekend as well but thanks to my slumlord evicting us i had to cancel my trip... i love xex and love you for posting more unheard of music! have a safe trip!


  • August 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM  

    i'll post that xex track sometime...i think it's the only other track they released besides their album.


  • August 29, 2008 at 9:57 AM  

    wow theres a track on this missile techno comp that just totally samples this AWESOME jam http://www.discogs.com/release/48225 'new york minds'. thanks for posting this SO GOOD!


  • September 25, 2008 at 1:42 PM  

    Sounded instantly familiar but it's gotta be the 1st time ive heard it.

    Would love to hear more.

    Great blog- respect from scotland!

    Kris


  • November 6, 2008 at 6:25 AM  

    YEAH!

    And you can find the full compilation from where the track is from here :

    http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.com/2007/01/va-pulse-of-new-york-lp-1983-ukus-bands.html

    That's :

    http://www.discogs.com/release/332922

    Thx for the knowledge!


  • November 19, 2008 at 1:50 PM  

    Man this is why internet is so amazing...
    And thx to you, you made this post of an incredible hard to find track !
    Glad are our ears...