Friday, May 09, 2008

Eargasm  


There is Eurofunk and then there is Euro Funk and they are the same group but they do not quite share the same sound. Hailing from Miami and fronted by Louie Shameea, Euro Funk released two 12 inches in 1981 on their own Eargasm Records. Besides the ridiculously amazing sleeves (only the sleeve for "Everybody's Dancing" is pictured here) the tracks are pure boogie gold.

Everybody's Dancing is a raw and funky rewrite of Jimmy Ross's "First True Love affair" complete with the same guitar and basslines, but layered with a new vocal melody and lyrics. "Dynomite" is my personal jam. Check the hypnotic guitar and synth melodies as well as the dubbed out bomb drop effects.

In 1983 Euro Funk became the one word Eurofunk and finally lived up to their moniker releasing the somewhat cheesey Italo track "Manshortage" on Pantera Records. Reissued as part of Morgan Geist's "Unclassics" series, "Manshortage" is much more ubiquitous, but doesn't hold a candle to the earlier releases on Eargasm.

Euro Funk - Everybody's Dancing
Euro Funk - Dynomite

Posted by Magnum | 7 comments

Labels: , ,

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



7 comments: to “ Eargasm


  • May 9, 2008 at 9:55 PM  

    I realize this is looking a gift horse in the mouth, and I do thank you for the great tracks, but more and more MP3s you're posting are using mono sources. Are you doing this deliberately?


  • May 11, 2008 at 1:24 AM  

    Funk! Loving the tracks. I would also love some stereo. :)


  • May 11, 2008 at 7:39 PM  

    Well I thought you guys were smoking something. There are two channels and I made stereo recordings..but...

    It looks like my MOTU interface is taking both L & R tracks, merging them, and creating two monophonic channels. Must just be a bad firmware mixer setting.

    Thank you for saying something and switiching me onto it otherwise I would never have realized.

    I will make amends.


  • May 11, 2008 at 9:24 PM  

    I figured it was something like that :) Thanks!


  • May 13, 2008 at 9:49 AM  

    Incredible tracks. Thanks for these. Your blog continues to amaze.


  • May 15, 2008 at 4:57 PM  

    Black Shag and I will re-rip these for you at some point as these tracks are the shit and need some stereo love.


  • June 3, 2012 at 2:50 AM  

    First, let me say that this track is absolutely fucking brilliant and I love every second of it! Thank you for posting this (as well as so many others!). I'd be really interested to hear the tropical instrumental from the B side of this record. Is it just a straight instrumental without the vocals, or does it have additional instrumentation? Also, that sleeve is amazing!